Dealing with anti-social behaviour

We take reports of anti-social behaviour very seriously

We know how much it can affect your quality of life, so we investigate every complaint fully. The action we can take depends on the type of anti-social behaviour and how serious it is. We’ll be open and honest about what we can do, how you can help yourself and which other agencies should also be involved. 

What you can do

As a customer you’re responsible for the behaviour of everybody (including children) living in or visiting your home. This includes what they do in your home, in the communal areas and in the local area.


You must make sure that you, your relatives, your friends and anyone living with you or visiting you doesn’t:

  • do anything that causes a nuisance to other people
  • harass anyone in the local area because of their race, nationality, sexuality, gender, religion, disability, age or anything else
  • use your home for immoral or illegal purposes, such as taking or selling illegal drugs
  • abuse, harass, use violence, or threaten to use violence, against our staff, contractors or other  residents


If you do, you’ll be breaking the conditions of your tenancy. And we could take legal action against you which could mean:

  • eviction - you’ll be made to leave your home
  • housing injunctions - a court will order you not do something, like playing loud music. If you do it again, you can be fined or sent to prison for a short time
  • Criminal Behaviour Orders - a court will order you not to do something. If you do it again, you can be sent to prison for up to five years, be fined up to £5000 and have a criminal record.

Reporting a problem

The most common types of ASB complaints are:

  • noise nuisance
  • verbal abuse
  • intimidation and harassment
  • rowdy and inconsiderate behaviour
  • damage to property including graffiti and vandalism
  • nuisance from pets and animals
  • using or selling illegal drugs
  • dumping rubbish
  • vehicle nuisance including joyriding.


To report a problem, please complete the initial report form or call us on 0800 195 555.

You can call the police to report anti-social behaviour by calling 101, or in an emergency 999.

Report anti-social behaviour

What happens when you make a complaint?

We’ll investigate and then agree an action plan with you. This includes the actions that we’ll take, what you can do to help and which other agencies should be involved. We’ll get in touch with you weekly so you can give us the details of anything else that’s happened. If we can’t get hold of you, we’ll write to you asking you to contact us. If we don’t hear from you, we’ll close the case.


Collecting evidence

To help you, we'll need plenty of details about the problem, especially if it starts to get worse. We need to know how often you have problems, how bad they are and how it affects you.


Types of evidence

Here are a number of ways you can record what’s happening:

  • writing everything down (diary sheets)
  • photographs
  • video footage
  • talking into a Dictaphone to record the details of the incident
  • using our sound recording equipment to record loud music and other noise nuisance.


How to use diary sheets

The simplest way to record what happens and when, is to use our diary sheets. They’re a really good way for us to understand how bad the problem is and how often it’s happening. They also show how the issues are affecting you. You may only need to fill them in for a few weeks. But if we start legal action you might be asked to be a witness for us. 

It’s important that you record your details and the details of the person you’re complaining about. Use a separate diary sheet if you’re recording events about different addresses. And please make sure that each person in your house recording incidents uses separate diary sheets. If we take someone to court, we need the exact details of what's happened, so it’s vital that you fill in all the details properly. If there’s shouting or verbal abuse, please write down the actual words people use, even if they’re swear words. Please don’t write your opinions about your neighbours on the sheet – we’re after the facts about what’s happened. But, it’s important that you record how it made you feel, as this will show the serious effect of the ASB.

Download diary sheets

We can’t resolve everything…

Please remember that some incidents of anti-social behaviour are extremely difficult to prove and it’s not always possible to achieve a positive outcome.

For instance we don’t have any powers to deal with disputes between neighbours’ parking, ball games, children playing in the street and normal day to day living noise. In these types of case we’ll refer you to our independent assessment & mediation service.

Independent assessment service and mediation

We may pass your case to an independent assessment service, particularly when it appears to be a clash of lifestyles or personalities. The assessor will contact everyone involved to help you come up with a solution.

Victim Support service

Most people feel better after talking to someone. That’s why we’re working with the national charity, Victim Support, to provide free and confidential support. Specially trained staff will listen, understand and give you support through phone calls and face to face meetings. They’ll also provide information and updates on the progress of your case and practical help with personal safety and home security.

If you feel that either of these services may help you, please give us a call on 0800 195 5515.